Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mac Mutantes


We've been watching the Olympics on TV a bit, mostly gymnastics and such things, because we got sucked in with the bombastic, ueberkitschy opening ceremony. There's a McDonalds commercial and it features an Os Mutantes song! An Os Mutantes song! One of the most radical 60s Tropicalia bands. It makes me sick. A Minha Menina is one of my favorite songs and to see it associated with big corporate quarter pounders and McChickens is deeply saddening. What do you call an aberration like this? It's beyond sellout. It's an artistic tragedy. But it figures. Last summer we got tickets to see the old farts at the Wiltern. I was very pregnant and it hurt ot be on my feet and the opening band was going on forever, so I finally asked Abe: When do you think Os Mutantes is gonna go on? He looked at me strange and said, uhm, they are on, that's them. I looked at the stage and back at Abe and went: what? He said, that's Os Mutantes, they are playing! I swear, the music was so hideous, vaguely tropicaly of course, but mostly Carlos Santa in Vegas with lots of dreadful solos and working the audience. Then I realized it was them. And we both looked at other and laughed so hard and left and in the car rocked out to She Wants Revenge. True Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment