Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Anthroposophy


I have a love-hate relationship with Rudolph Steiner. I want to be an anthroposophist, I really do, but some of the philosophy regarding children is just too irritating. Like faceless dolls. And dressing in complementary colors. Like this: if your child is hyper, dress him in red, because when you look at red long enough you see green, which has a soothing effect. Hm… And dolls and stuffed animals, well, they better not have a face, so the child can project her own desired emotions. Dude, I’m just not sure. It’s so, well, anti-American. It’s like you almost run the risk of getting a ticket if you don’t smile. Even in LA, where people have fangs!

So, I discovered that there is a Waldorf bookstore and library in Pasadena. Should I go? It feels a bit like going to scientology. My parents' neighbor is huge into Steiner philosophy and she was upset at me for using eucalyptus oil when Milan had a cold. And she brought over a book that suggested using sunshine to help bring up your child, as in ‘let the rays help you.’ And she wears floor length skirts. I hate floor length skirts. Unless they are white and worn by Sikhs at Golden Bridge. Anyway, a secret little part of me really does want to get some faceless dolls for Milan. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Don't do it! Milan wants animals and dolls he can smile at and talk to, not some blank...BLANK...that is utterly ridiculous! They look like demons or ghosts...super creepy agent!

    ReplyDelete