Wednesday, August 6, 2008

L.A. Moment or Six Dollar Chai



I was craving an iced chai this morning, and having decided to boycott Starbucks, I drove to the unabashedly superior LaMill on Silver Lake Blvd. Their chai Masala is $6. Six dollars!!! Actually, six fifty with tax! But it’s so good; it’s the equivalent of the DB foie gras burger. So I grabbed my overpriced prize and drove to the reservoir, so Milan could play in the grass, It was under siege by some sewage repair crew, so we headed to lush, verdant-urban, now lotus free Echo Park to chill with the bums. When I tried to park, some raggedy women were waving furiously and yelling at me. Turns out in the---legal---spot where I was about the park, the free food delivery truck usually parks at 1p.m. And me with my spenny chai. Ugh. They looked hungry, too, so I moved further down. We set up camp, me sipping my chai in my boho (not hobo) chic outfit, trying to keep Milan from snacking on garbage, watching the truck people hand out free meals. It was such an L.A. moment.

2 comments:

  1. Sylvie- this is cracking me up. I can totally picture this Echo Park moment. When I do my rare runs there, it smells of urine. Also didn't know you had a blog- will check it again! -- Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see that LaMill is featured in the latest Food & Wine as one of the best coffee houses in the U.S. Guess that makes them feel they can charge $6.50? Oy vey!

    ReplyDelete