Friday, August 15, 2008

The Highly Sensitive Person

I met R. for lunch today and over chilled pea soup and salmon tartare she told me about the Book "The Highly Sensitive Person," by Elaine N. Aron. It describes 99% of me, and I take one percentage point of strictly for not avoiding violent movies. But I do get overwhelmed by stimuli such as lights, noises, and smells. Other people’s moods and emotions deeply affect me. I become uneasy when someone is watching me complete a task. I become tired easily after a “normal” day of activity. I'm aware of other things in my environment that most other people are not aware of. I become agitated or anxious when I have a lot of tasks to do and not enough time to complete all of them. I feel the need to escape and retreat when there is too much going on around me. I am deeply interested in the arts or music. I seem to be more sensitive to pain than other people. I'm sensitive to certain foods such as foods containing caffeine, sugar or alcohol. I become (very) unpleasant when I'm hungry. I easily sense the energies of places or situations. I need (tons) of time alone. I have a vivid imagination. Here I thought I was just a super cranky, misanthropic pessimist!

No comments:

Post a Comment