Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gluten Glee


Every time I hear that another mom cooks gluten free baby food, my blood pressure rises and I'm one step closer to heart disease. Oh, and there's salmon that doesn't have WHEAT in it. Amazing! And water is gluten-free, too. I think. Although sometimes it makes my gallbladder feel sticky.


from Wikipedia:

Gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. These exist, conjoined with starch, in the endosperms of some grass-related grains, notably wheat, rye, and barley. Gliadin and glutenin comprise about 80% of the protein contained in wheat seed. Being insoluble in water, they can be purified by washing away the associated starch. Worldwide, gluten is an important source of nutritional protein, both in foods prepared directly from sources containing it, and as an additive to foods otherwise low in protein. Tests have recently shown gluten is in corn.

1 comment:

  1. People have too much time on their hands. Unless they have some serious gluten allergy, my suggestion is to redirect all this "activity" to some volunteer work or spiritual exploration. My God Man!

    ReplyDelete