Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And this is a Paradigm!


On Monday I had to attend a snack ‘n’ chat event from the mom's club, because once every blue moon our playgroup has to provide the snacks. I didn't have to do anything complicated like bake muffins or anything. My job was to provide water. But still. I have zero tolerance for anything where somebody takes minutes. Don't get me wrong. I ADORE my playgroup, but when I sit around in a circle, sipping coffee from paper cups and listening to the chick from the Center for Nonviolent Parenting explaining what a paradigm is, I feel like doing something very violent and inappropriate. Like yell, Get to the Point. And punch a wall, just for fun. (I never get to punch walls). She had ... [drumroll] two hand puppets. The jackal represented Traditional Parenting (big bad mean violent jackal) and the other animal---it must have been something benign like a newborn kitten; I don't remember---represented, Yay! Nonviolent Parenting! You see Traditional Parenting is bad because it doesn't focus on the child's needs. It may have been more informative than that, but somewhere between the minutes and the community garden the club donated daisies to or whatever and the mom of the month voting and the jackal puppet, I got lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment