Monday, September 1, 2008

90210


It's a week of season premieres on the CW. Among them: 90210. It makes me feel so old. In general, I don't feel old really. I'm sort of ageless, especially since I’ve become a mom. But 90210 brings up interesting stuff. A secret, hidden part of me really wanted to be Donna. On the outside of course I was a chain-smoking, Doc Martins-rocking, Ministry-listening rriot girl, but on the inside I longed to be blonde in Beverly Hills with an expense account. Of course, I had my own sort of trust fund back then, but I didn't shop on Rodeo Drive. Not that there really ever has been anything worthwhile purchasing. Safe for Tiffany's. Anyway, I really identified with Donna in a way I never did with any of the much cooler Twin Peaks chicks in their preppie sweaters. Donna was ditzy and had cleavage and she shopped. What more could a girl ask for? The David Lynch femmes had secrets and complex inner lives. Donna was vapid and thus accessible. And even years before all that Manga stuff became popular, Donna had those huge Bette Davis eyes that just pull you in!

Don't Miss a Single New Episode Tuesday, Sept. 2 at 8/7c on The CW

No comments:

Post a Comment