Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Horse Girls (Not to be confused with horse faces)


There were girls in high school that liked horses. Collected horse pictures (instead of Duran Duran photos) or even rode horses. I hated them. My friends and I (real winners: chain-smoking, Asti Spumante guzzling when we should be doing our homework, boy crazy) called them "horse girls." I thought about them last night when I read The Highly Sensitive Person. I read it, finally, because my incredibly smart and sensitive friend R. thought I might fall into that category. I'm disappointed, though. The book would have been a revelation if I were 23. But I've changed. I still react strongly to sights, sounds and caffeine and need tons of alone time. But I've also grown to be less exhausted from a mere conversation. I've become moderately social. I fit in. But I also have a completely sadistic streak that isn't sensitive at all and that wants to torture the modern equivalent of horse girls. Cause, the thing is, I know some. And they could use a good torturing.

No comments:

Post a Comment